Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Plot Sickens: Free Write and Prompt

 It was Christmas Eve. Fog stuck to the tarmac at Lindbergh field. I waited anxiously holding my hands together as I watched out the window at the airport on this foggy evening. I had butterflies in my stomach that trickled up to my throat and consumed my whole body. The kids were too young to understand at the time what was happening, they were toddlers and all they knew was that they missed their father. I looked over at them, both blonde and full of life. Their rose colored cheeks and tooth missing smiles could make anyone smile.  They watched as the planes landed and the luggage on the carousel swung around and around. We were there two hours early, which was probably a bad idea with two three year old's but I could not contain my excitement, and I knew once they saw him they would not be able to either. He’s been gone for almost a year now, three hundred and twenty two days and five hours to be exact and now it was down to only hours. Two hours passed of sitting and waiting until the screen showed that his flight had arrived. I leaned down, gathered the kids and said “daddy’s home for Christmas guys, he’s finally home”. They both looked at me with wide eyes and ran to the stairs where he would be coming down. I looked cautiously at the stairs and studied everybody’s face thoroughly, until I saw him..

My prompt deviates the author of The Plot Sickens, Fanny Howe's ideas on young writers and her studies as a teacher. Fanny gave her students the same free write prompt that I received, and all but five of her student's stories consisted of tragic endings, blood, and gore. My prompt ended quite differently, although the ending is not fully completed, it is clear that the husband returns home. On the contrary, my story did contain some traces of violence, considering the husband is returning home from war which is an extremely violent event. Although my story was not as graphic as some of her students, who she says wrote about "were wired to electrodes, burned alive, blown up on their way to baggage claim, dragged of by the police for smuggling cocaine, and so on." it still contained traces of violence. There is no doubt in my mind that many of my peer's stories contained violence, most likely more graphic than mine. Therefore I believe my story did not fully follow the author's ideas of the tendencies of young writers, however offered a violent background story that is not told so it does relate to the authors ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment