Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Pic Perfect


You see me as a nobody. You see me as scum, worthless, no use to the world. Before you even say a word to me you think you know me. Nothing but a lazy bum who sits on the corner and begs for what you’ve earned, but do you know me? Do you know that I served in war to protect your rights? Did you know that? I was shot in the arm, to make sure our country was safe, our country that refuses to help me when I’m helpless and alone. Did you know I had two kids, emphasis on the had. I lived in a big house with two kids, a dog, and my wife. My wife who kicked me out when she found out about my Post Traumatic Stress, she kicked me out with nowhere to live. I haven’t seen those two kids since. I’ve volunteered for people like me, and before I thought the same as you. I thought homeless people do it to themselves. Why don’t they just get a job, I would ask myself. Only now I realize no one will hire a man with torn up clothes and who smells like garbage. I am not nobody, I lived my whole life as somebody, but now you only see me as nobody. 

No comments:

Post a Comment